April 3, 2015
Pico de Gallo
So I have been looking for veggies to be able to put inside my diet friendly burritos I make for myself the problem was trying to keep it simple. In comes Pico de Gallo. Here is my recipe I don’t ever measure so I estimated.
About This Recipe
- YIELD: Makes about 1 quart
- TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Fine mesh strainer, large bowl
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño chilies, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from 1 lime
- Season tomatoes with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer or colander set in a bowl and allow to drain for 20 to 30 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Combine drained tomatoes with onion, chilies, cilantro, and lime juice. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt. Pico de gallo can be stored for up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.